We love nothing more than packing up our suitcases and the car, ready to head to the Great British coast and we think that it wouldn't be the same without Bertie by our side! Many people ask where we go and how we accommodate Bertie into our plans, so we thought we'd share our tips and tricks to help anyone who wants to bring their dog along on their next adventure!
Bertie normally holidays in the UK, from the Jurrasic Coastline in Devon to the picturesque Norfolk broads. Once we've narrowed down the location, we search for dog friendly hotels and holiday cottage in that area. We recommend:
- The Victoria Inn in Holkham, Norfolk is one of our firm favourites! Dogs are really welcome and very much part of the scene! It's lovely to come back after a coastal walk and relax knowing there is great food and wine waiting!
- Another favourite is The Talbot Inn, Mells, Somerset. The location of this hotel is key, with so many great places to visit on your doorstep including Stourhead, Glastonbury and Bath.
- Norfolk Cottages is a great place to find a space that you can call yours - just filter to list all the dog friendly options.
- One of our lovely stockists, Jo & Co Home have a luxury holiday cottage near Constantine Bay - Bodhis Beach Hut. A great location to make sure you get to explore all of Cornwalls top locations from Padstow to Porthcothan.
- Once the rooms open at The Kedleston Country House, this would be an ideal place to stay for the Peak District
Trips are in the pipeline for foreign soil to be conquered by Bertie's four paws, by taking the ferry or the EuroTunnel soon! Don't forget if you want to take your pet out of the country, you will need a pet passport from your vets - this way your dog, cat or even ferret can travel happy!
Bertie's suitcase isn't as big as ours, but he still needs to take his essentials - here's our Bertie kit list that we make sure we've packed everything! We normally start with getting Bert's bits together first, with no clothes to choose from, it's done pretty quickly!
- Collapsable water bowl and water bottle filled - a must for a thirsty dog wherever we may be!
- Travel bed - makes Bertie feel more at home
- Extending lead - for long walks
- Dog towel - perfect for drying after dips in the sea
- Food and treats for the week
We're blessed in this country to have some great coastline, historic buildings and heritage sites so we try to visit and see as much as we can! We like to go with the flow on our time off, so even though we look around for things to do, nothing is set in stone. Need inspiration? Try these:
On our latest trip to Norfolk, Bertie enjoyed getting out to sea to seal spot, something that was in the guide left by the cottage we stayed in, so make sure you check these out as well!
We hope these tips and tricks help make holiday planning a little easier, points you in the right direction to stay and also gives you places to explore. If you have any questions - do please let us know in the comments below. We'd also love to hear your suggestions for happy holidaying!